Tuesday, February 2, 2010

El Camino al sur






We leave Santiago and head for the south [el sur]. The smoggy haze lingers in the sky outside of the city. The filthy air covers the Andes mountains that serve as a backdrop for the lush greenery.


The further south we advance, the clearer the sky becomes. The further south we advance, the greener the plants become. Vineyards

cover the land until they reach the horizon. Lush green trees and plants begin to fill my view...We are getting closer to what Cesar calls home...

I soak in the view like a sponge as I snap photos....

We stop to eat at a quick stop and I get to try my first Chilean "completo" or in other words, [hot dog]. Yes, it's funny, why don't they just call it a hot dog [or perrito caliente?] like all of the other Latin-American countries??? In Chile the hot dog is distinctly different from the typical hot dog. A real "Completo" comes filled with tomato, avocado, and sauerkraut and topped with mayonnaise, catsup, and mustard. The mustard is also different. It actually contains REAL mustard seeds! It is actually really good. I will have to bring some home with me :] I always modify my completo and get it without sauerkraut and mayo and with only half of the hot dog so I don't have a heart attack from all of the fat! ;] In Chile, you will find a lot of European influence, especially German. Before and after World War II, many germans immigrated to Chile. Most of those who came after World War II, went to southern Chile. Also, the German culture was not the only culture to come to Chile. So when I ask myself, why is Chile so different? I remember that it has a unique mix of cultures that has evolved over the years...My country is similar to this, made up of people from all different countries and cultures whom in the end all make one unique country.


We continue our voyage to the south and the green just keeps getting greener.

The sun sinks into the horizon and the vegetation darkens.


We continue driving into the night.
Within the hour we reach the quiet town of Renaico...my Cesar's home town. The center of the town is strung with Christmas-like lights. The river flows silently. The plaza is filled with people watching a movie on a big screen that the town put up especially for that night. My Cesar feels all sorts of emotions flowing back. It has been years since he has lived here.

We get to his home and his family awaits us with a Chilean barbeque [asado]. Everyone is happy and excited to see us. We pull out all of the gifts that we can find in the luggage and hand them out. What a glorios reunion. Cesar's best friend, Claudio arrives and I finally meet the man behind all of the adventure stories. I listen intently as they all sit around the table reminiscing about old times. A lovely start to a new adventure...

Friday, January 22, 2009*

1 comment:

Lacey said...

ANGELA!
first of all, you are gorgeous. second of all your pictures are gorgeous. i am so glad you are documenting everything so i can follow your every move!! i miss you so much and can't wait to see you. e-mail me cause i need to talk to you.
your beautiful.
love you.
love, glace/laynch