Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Natalino

We are walking down the street in the middle of Santiago chatting and taking in the sights. People walk in all directions and the streets are filled with cars bustling by. Cesar, Tia Lia, and and I are enjoying a nice afternoon in Santiago. Bunches of people walk towards and away from us in all sides. Two men with dark sunglasses walk by us heading in the opposite direction. Tia Lia says casually, "Oh there goes Natalino,". "What?! Where??" I exclaim. "Right there," she replies casually and signals behind us. I look back in the other direction and she points out the man who she claims in Natalino. "Seriously?" I ask. "Yeah, I wouldn't say it if it weren't him," she replies. "But how do you know?," I enquire as we walk further in the opposite direction of Natalino. "Really," she insists, "I'm good at recognizing faces,". "Well why don't we go say hi to him and take a picture with him or something!?" I ask exciteldy. "You want to?" she asks. "Yes!!! OF COURSE!" I declare. So we turn around and head in the direction that Natalino went. We is walking fast so we quicken our pace without running like 12-year-old girls. Luckily he stops at a newstand and we get a chance to catch up. "Natalino," Tia Lia exclaims. He turns around and she introduces me as one of his fans. He says hi and kisses us on the cheek (this is the polite way to say hello in Latin America) and shakes Cesar's hand. We chat a little bit and then ask if we can take a picture with him. He happily agrees and I get a picture with him first...

And then Cesar jumps in...
Tia Lia is great at recognizing faces!! Good thing I had my camera with me! Tia Lia is so much fun! We love her!
We get back to the apartment and Maria Jose walks in. I excitedly tell her my story and show her the photo. She is excited for me. She just had a birthday yesterday and is about to give birth to her first son. His name will be Santiago...
For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to hear Natalino, his first name is Cristián and he is the lead singer in the trio that is named after him, "Natalino". Their musis is popular and romantic. One of their most popular songs is called Desde Que Te Vi. Here's a taste...
Friday, January 22, 2009*

No comments: